10/18/06

Changing of the Seasons

I didn't realize it's been over a week since I last posted, time seems to be passing me by!

On the drive into work today I was amazed at how different the neighborhood looked after last nights rain. The leaves were all changing and most had fallen down last night, my car was covered in yellow maple leaves. The roads were colored a brown-orange from all the pine needles that had shaken loose.

I love being fully submersed in Fall. Things I love about the Fall: the trees changing colors, the big piles of leaves, pumpkin picking, apple picking, wearing sweaters, apple cider, fall decorations, apple crisps, mums, thinking about x-mas, crisp clean air, hardy meals like turkey and ham, carving pumpkins and reading a book of a overcast day. These are just some and I'm sure there are more.

I clearly remember when in mid to late August I was sitting at the picture window in our apartment overlooking the side yard when I saw one of the first leafs fall from the tree. I remember looking at it twirl it's way down to the ground and my mind was yelling "NO".

By the time it met the earth and joined the small group of previously fallen brothers my heart was racing and I was thinking that I wasn't ready for the Fall. I'm never good at the first signs of change, I really never have been. I was sitting there is the warm Summer breeze waiting for Jamie to come home so that we could go to the beach, and then BAM change was in the air.

This tiny leaf said to me, "Time is moving forward, things are always changing even when you aren't there to notice."

I said to the leaf "But it's still August! It's still Summer and warm, I'm not ready to let this part go yet. Get back on that tree!"

The tiny leaf just continued to twirl down and responded "Enjoy the moments that make up your life, there are only so many. We are one day closer to Winter; we are one day closer to next Summer as well."

Strange how we are never comfortable with Change but it's always happening, you'd think that just by having it bother us so consistently we would become accustomed to it. I think that seeing change coming is never welcomed but after change has come and gone we are usually ok.

I remember sitting in the picture window watching the tiny leaf fall and feeling not ready at all but now that we are fully in Fall I love it. I'll try and remember this when I see the first flakes of snow pave the way for Winter.

No comments: