9/21/06

How to Change you Last Name

For all those lovely ladies out there who are getting married and will be changing your name I've put together a list of where you need to change and what you'll need to do it. It's a big headache trying to get everything changed over and I wanted to try and make it simpler for you ladies.

Changing Name Information:

___ Get a copy of your marriage license at the town hall where you applied. They don't mail this too you and should be ready within a week after your wedding day. Once you get this make about 10 copies because you will need them to get everything else done.

___ Social Security Card: You'll need to fill out a SS-5 form and take it with your original marriage license to your local SS office. They can be located by going to www.ssa.gov and in the bottom left column there is a link to find an office by zip code. They also give you the phone number, directions and times they are open.

___ go to the DMV for your new driver's license, you'll need to bring your new SS card and current driver's license. You can check on www.mass.gov/rmv click on the second link in the left column for branches & wait times. You'll also have to update your auto registration AFTER you get your new license but check the website and go at the right time and it's not to painful.

___ Employer: you'll need your SS card and drivers license possibly, each one is different

___ Bank: They'll need your SS card and drivers license I believe, we had opened a new account so I didn't have to deal with changing my name on the old one.

___ Credit Cards: The weird part about this one is that you don't need to show proof at all, you just call the number on the back of your card and they'll do it for you.

___Passport- Fill out a DS-19 form and mail it with a copy of the marriage license & current passport to:
Charleston Passport Center
Attention: Amendments
1296 Holland Street
Charleston, SC 29405
It felt strange to mail my passport out but this is the way that they do it.

___Post Office if changing address
___IRS - you'll need to fill out an 8822 form and mail it to:

Internal Revenue Service
Andover, MA 05501

You can get it at and information at www.irs.gov

___Voter Registration this can do this at DMV
___ Doctors and Dentist
___ Insurance Companies
___ State Tax Board
___ Clubs
___ Memberships
___ Retirement Plan
___ Medical Plan

___ Online Accounts

This is the list I have been working off of to try and update my name with everything, it's amazing how many places it came up where I hadn't realized but hopefully this list will help get you through it easier. I have a pdf of each of the forms if the links don't end up working for you, just drop me an email and I'll send it out to you.

Congratulations to my favorite girls!!! Lindsay, Alicia and Robin I am so happy for you all!! I can't wait for all of your special days to come. I'm more then willing to help out with anything you need, just let me know.

Have a great Friday, I'm sure not too much work is getting done with wedding bells ringing in your heads.

No comments: